Word @ Home
Thoughts: What do we know about Peter?
1. He was the son of Jonah and the brother of Andrew.
2. He lived in Capernaum.
3. He has been called the Big Fisherman.
4. We know he was married, because he had a mother-in-law.
5. He is named first in the lists of the disciples.
6. He was the most loquacious disciple.
7. He was one of the three disciples closest to Jesus.
Do we think of Peter as a scholar, able to quote minor prophets? Well, no. But in today’s reading, Peter reels off five verses from the second chapter of Joel.
This passage has a modern outlook:
“ … your sons and your daughters shall prophesy ….”
It has echoes of poetry:
“ … your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions ….”
And it closes with a wonderful promise:
“ … who so ever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Discussion: How would a present-day audience react to Peter’s talk?
Activity: Read the book of Joel – all three chapters.
Sign up to receive these via email HERE