Beaumont Parenting Program
Beaumont Children’s award-winning Parenting Program provides support and education to new parents through experienced parent volunteers. This new parent program is a free, one-stop resource that provides extensive support and education to first-time parents through experienced, trained parent volunteers. Offered through Beaumont Labor & Delivery. Contact them for dates & times.
Troy Co-Op Preschool
Classes meet on variable days Monday-Friday
Troy Cooperative Preschool (TCP) is a non-profit, non-denominational preschool operated by parents since 1970. TCP provides a safe and nurturing environment for children, ages 2 through 5 years, enabling them to experience their world through hands-on, interactive, and sensory activities. Our teachers are warm, sensitive, caring, dedicated, and highly trained in early childhood development. Contact them to sign up or for more information!
Royal Scottish Country Dancing
Thursday Nights 7:30-9:30pm
This group has a new home at Troy First! They meet EVERY Thursday night from 7:30- 9:30pm, with free dance lessons your first night! Visit their website for pictures,videos and contact information.
La Leche League
4th Thursday of each Month
Meets for support and group encouragement for pregnant and nursing mothers! Visit the website for more information and meeting times at Troy First!
Great Lakes Depression
Ballroom Dance Lessons
Wednesdays at 3pm
Call our on-site instructor, Karmin, to sign up to attend your beginning or advanced ballroom dance lessons. No partner necessary!
First class is free-$10 per session after that!
2 new themes each month:
November: Group & Tango
Oakland County Traditional Dance Society
4th Saturday of each Month
Contradancing is alive and well at Troy First UMC. Come and join us for lessons, fun, snacks, and a good workout. Visit the website for times and more information!
Troy Community Chrous
Varies throughout the year
For 41 seasons, the Troy Community Chorus has serenaded the metro area. Our twice a year concerts, given by the 80+ member group, have evolved so that they may also feature instrumental music, dancing, soloists and ensembles.
Members of the chorus come from all over the Detroit metropolitan area. The chorus is proud of its diversified membership – and its members’ musical backgrounds vary, as do their personal hobbies and interests.
We have the immense privilege of being able to use our telephones and our computers to continue to minister in Christ’s name. Let’s start with the blessings we have:
1) With many thanks to Bill Wesp, Andrew Barnes, and Victoria Aurand, we will begin streaming and recording 10 a.m. worship tomorrow through Facebook Live. You will be able to access the livestream through the First UMC of Troy Facebook page, or access the recording through the church’s website after the conclusion of the service, when it has been uploaded to the website.
2) There will be volunteers in the church office to take your prayer requests and to pray with you on Sunday mornings from 9:00-9:55 a.m. Please do call! All prayer requests will be included in our weekly Word at Home email, which will continue to be shared each Tuesday.
3) Steve Kosinski, Casey Baker, some stalwart choir members, and I will be leading worship tomorrow morning. Our worship services for March 22 and 29 are still in development, but I anticipate that I will lead prayer and worship in the sanctuary, with music videos for our music.
4) We will be using free resources such as FreeConferenceCall.com and Zoom to conduct meetings and study opportunities.
5) We have our church directories, with lots of phone numbers to call our dear friends. I encourage you to pray together, to talk together, and to encourage one another.
6) We have caring, well-researched resources at michiganumc.org., including great helps for talking to our children about COVID-19. We still have questions, and there will be some miscommunications and missteps as we figure out how to navigate these unique days. We will do this together, and God will be leading us each step of the way. Jesus Christ has promised us, “In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!” (John 16:33b). We do not face this challenge alone. Thanks be to God!
Peace to you,